About the Individual Number (My Number) system
All people with a resident certificate in Japan, including non-Japanese residents, are assigned a 12-digit Individual Number (My Number). This number is used to help confirm that personal information which exists at multiple institutions in the fields of social welfare, taxation and disaster response pertains to the same individual.
How to check your Individual Number (My Number)
When you create a resident certificate for the first time in Japan, you will be assigned an Individual Number, known as My Number, and will receive a letter in the post (Notification of Individual Number) informing you of your number. This letter contains your Individual number, enabling you to check it for yourself.
If you do not have your Notification of Individual Number letter at hand, you can have your Individual Number listed on your resident certificate, so you can also use this to check your Individual Number.
*Until May 25, 2020, notification of national identification numbers was sent as notification cards.
Benefits of creating an Individual Number Card (My Number Card)
- You will be able to pick up resident certificates and seal registration certificates at convenience stores, etc.
- You will be able to use it as a form of personal ID when completing procedures, etc.
- You can use it as a document to prove your Individual Number in situations where you need to declare your Individual Number.
- Those who have registered an alias on their resident certificate will also have their alias displayed on their Individual Number Card, so it can be used as proof of this alias.
How to apply for an Individual Number card (My Number Card)
You will find an application form for issuance of an Individual Number Card in the envelope containing the letter informing you of your national identification number.
To apply, please attach a photograph of your face to the application form, write the date and your name, and enclose only the application form portion in an envelope.
Where to send applications
An application form for issuance of the Individual Number Card Acceptance Center
Japan Agency for Local Authority Information Systems
P.O.Box 2, Kawasaki-higashi, Japan Post Co., Ltd., 219-8650
The QR code on the application form for issuance of an Individual Number Card (My Number Card) can be read with a smartphone and other devices, and a picture of your face taken with a smartphone or other device can be used to apply for the card.
If you do not have this QR code, you can get an application form with the QR code at the counter of the Family Registry Division of the ward office of the ward where you currently live.
How to receive your Individual Number Card (My Number Card)
How to receive your Individual Number Card in the event you applied by post or online
Once your Individual Number Card is ready, you will receive a notification card in the post. Please come and collect it at the Family Registry Division counter of the ward office of the ward in which you currently live.
When coming to collect your card, please bring the following with you.
- The notification card you received in the post
- Resident card or Special Permanent Resident Card
- A form of personal identification, such as a National Health Insurance card (something which can be used to confirm your name and address or name and date of birth)
- Notification card (if you have it at hand)
Where to inquire
About Individual Number Card applications/receipt
|Service Desk Division, Civic Affairs Bureau (*Inquiries in Japanese only)