The History of the Port of Yokohama
1) The Opening of the Port:West Meets East
2) The Birth of Yokohama City and the Great Kanto Earthquake
3) Earthquake Recovery-World War
4) Post-war-Rapid Economic Growth
5) The Container Age to Present Day
In order to make the Port of Yokohama into a modern day berth, the Japanese national government began launching a succession of construction projects in 1889. This diligence proved worthwhile when trade profits rose. In turn, the Port of Yokohama became Japan`s leading trade port and the "doorway" to Japan.
Throughout this period the Port saw rapid growth with the construction of landmarks still in use today: Osanbashi Pier, the East/North Breakwater (constructed from 1889-1896), and the Aka-Renga Warehouse which was built upon the Shinko Pier (both constructed between 1899-1916).
After the existing coastline became saturated with factories, reclamation began on the wide and shallow beach between Kawasaki and Kanagawa. In contrast to the locations mentioned above, private companies carried out the majority of the reclamation in order to accommodate their factories. This new area was called the Keihin Industrial Zone.
Unfortunately, most of the Port’s facilities were destroyed and then subsequently rebuilt after the Great Kanto Earthquake, September 1, 1923.
Shinko Pier after the Great Kanto Earthquake（Collection of the Yokohama Maritime Museum）
Typical imports of this era:
Typical exports of this era:
High Quality Textiles