Yokohama will issue official certificates showing residents have received the new coronavirus (COVID-19) vaccination in Yokohama to residents who apply, in accordance with the Immunization Act. Note that it is the decision of each individual whether or not to receive the vaccine, and the issuing of official certificates does not make the vaccine mandatory.
• The COVID-19 vaccine certificate (also referred to as “vaccine passports”) will be issued to persons for whom it is required to travel abroad for the immediate future.
• Please only apply for the vaccination certificate if you are traveling overseas to a country or region where anti-infection measures are relaxed if you show a certificate.
• Currently, having a vaccination certificate does not affect anti-infection measures when entering Japan. For more information about Japan’s anti-infection measures, see this page（外部サイト） about the major anti-infection measures at ports and airports. (English summary follows Japanese)
• Even if you do not apply for a certificate in Japan, you may show you have been vaccinated with the “Certificate of Vaccination for COVID-19” (see the area in red below).
For the immediate future, vaccination certificates may be issued to persons who fulfill both conditions below.
1. You were a resident of Yokohama when you received the vaccine (including priority vaccinations for health care workers, priority recipients, workplace vaccinations, regular vaccinations with vaccine vouchers issued by the local government, etc.)
2. A certificate is required to be subject to relaxed anti-infection measures in the destination country when traveling from Japan. *See the Ministry of Foreign Affairs website（外部サイト） for countries and regions where anti-infection measures are relaxed when showing a vaccination certificate. (Japanese)
Accordingly, the following persons are not eligible.
• Persons not using the certificate for travel overseas
• Persons who were vaccinated overseas (vaccinations not recognized by Japan’s Immunization Act)
*If vaccinated through the Ministry of Foreign Affairs initiative to temporarily recall Japanese citizens to be vaccinated, please contact the Ministry.
In addition to the individual’s information (their name, date of birth, etc.) and the vaccination details (type of vaccine, date received, etc.), the COVID-19 vaccination certificate will also show the individual’s passport number and other details. This information will be printed in both Japanese and English.
How to apply (by post only)
List of required documents
| ||List of required documents||Description|
|①Application form（PDF：165KB）||When someone else is applying on your behalf, you must also attach ⑦ and ⑧ below|
|② Copy of passport|
Submit a copy of the passport page that includes a face photo
|③ Copy of vaccine voucher|
*If unable to submit because the voucher was lost or destroyed, submit a copy of a personal identification document showing your address at the time you were vaccinated.
|④ Certificate of Vaccination or a copy of the Record of Vaccination for COVID-19|
*If unable to submit because it was lost or destroyed, submit your copy of the pre-vaccination screening document
|⑤ Return envelope with a postal stamp||Write your name and address on the front of the envelope and attach a postal stamp (if using a cho-3 size envelope, 84 yen). If you do not attach enough postage, be aware that the application will be returned to you to pay the correct fee.|
in some cases
|⑥ Personal identification document with your original name/maiden name, different surname, or different name, if applicable||Submit if your passport shows your original name/maiden name, different surname, or different name (in letters).|
|⑦ Letter of proxy signed by applicant（PDF：45KB）||Submit when someone else is applying on your behalf.|
|⑧ Copy of a personal identification document of person applying on your behalf||Submit when someone else is applying on your behalf.|
|⑨ Other||In individual cases, you may be asked to submit additional documents other than the above.|
Where to send your application (by post only)
Yokohama Nishi-ku Minatomirai 3-6-1, Minatomirai Center Building 12th floor
Yokohama Vaccination Certificate Office
*Applications only accepted by mail.
*Please include your name and return address on the envelope.
*Many applications have not included sufficient postage. Please check to make sure you have attached the correct stamps.
For the time being, it is free to apply.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long does it take to be issued a Certificate after I apply?
It is expected to usually take about 1 week to 10 days to issue the certificate. However, depending on the state of the application, or if the application has any missing documents, it may take up to several months.
I plan to visit two or more countries. Is it possible to apply for multiple Vaccination Certificates (vaccine passports)?
The Vaccination Certificate is issued for travelers to show when required, not to submit to other agencies. Only one certificate will be issued for each application.
If I show my Vaccination Certificate, does that mean I will be excused from anti-infection measures in any country?
Possessing a Vaccination Certificate does not allow persons to visit or return from any country or region with relaxed anti-infection measures.
See the Ministry of Foreign Affairs website（外部サイト） for more details. (Japanese)
Can I apply for the Vaccination Certificate at Ward Administration Offices or City Hall?
Because it takes time to check the vaccination history of applicants, and because it is expected that many people will apply at once, applications are only accepted by mail (post).
Do I need a Vaccination Certificate to prove I have been vaccinated while here in Japan?
In Japan, you can prove you have been vaccinated with the “Certificate of Vaccination” (included on your vaccine voucher). This Vaccination Certificate is not required.
If you have lost the “Certificate of Vaccination,” see this page about the COVID-19 Certificate of Vaccination.
Where can I ask other questions about vaccination certification?
Contact the Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare COVID-19 Vaccine Call Center.
TEL: 0120-761-770 (free dial)
*Please be sure to check the number carefully when dialing.
• Languages: Japanese, English, Chinese, Korean, Portuguese, Spanish, Thai, Vietnamese
• Hours: See below (open on weekends and holidays also)
Japanese/English/Chinese/Korean/Portuguese/Spanish: 9 a.m. to 9 p.m.
Thai: 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Vietnamese: 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Inquiries about this page
COVID-19 Vaccine Call Center
TEL: 0120-045-070 (be careful not to dial the wrong number)
FAX: 050-3588-7191 (for residents with hearing loss)