- Top menu
Aoba ward

Aoba ward Japanese Top
Aoba Top   >   F Foreign language   >   English   >   Disaster and Emergency -- for the event of needs

Disaster and Emergency -- for the event of needs

  • We can't anticipate when disasters such as earthquake, fire, and accidents occur. Please be prepared.
  • The Neighborhood Association (Jichi-kai / Chonai-kai) passes circulated notices (Kai-ran-ban) from house-to-house in your neighborhood, in which you can find information about your area. Please pay attention to your Kai-ran-ban.

Preparation for disaster

  • If you are at work or at school, you need to get in touch with your family members to Help your neighbors in need of help at disaster or earthquake. You can register for a "Aoba disaster network mutual help card" at your neighborhood association (Jichikai). This is a mutual help system in the community. Please check it at your neighborhood association (Jichikai).
  • Check a disaster prevention map. (Confirm the nearest disaster evacuation shelter site by a posted sign board.)
    You can get food and information at the evacuation shelter. 39 primary schools and junior high schools are designated as disaster evacuation shelters.
    You can stay at the disaster evacuation shelter when your house is lost by a big earthquake.
  • You are strongly encouraged to participate in disaster prevention drills in your residential area. The neighborhood Association (Jichikai) will inform you of the date and the place it is to be held.
  • Prepare emergency supplies
    -Water and food for at least three days
    -Passport, Residence card
    -Health insurance card, copies of bank accounts
    -A flashlight, a portable radio, batteries, medicines,
    -First-aid kit, clothes, shoes, etc.

↑page top

At the time of a disaster

  • Listen to correct information at disasters, not rumors. (Prepare a radio for it.)
    Information about Aoba-ward will be broadcasted at FM Salus (84.1MHz) in Japanese.
    Information about Yokohama city will be broadcasted at
      FM Yokohama (84.7MHz) in English
      Inter FM (76.5MHz) in English, Korean, Chinese, Spanish, Indonesian, Thai, Tagalog.
      NHK radio 2 news (693kHz) in English, Korean, Chinese, Spanish, Portuguese
  • If you are at work or at school, you need to get in touch with your family members to confirm their safety.
    - Study in advance how to use Disaster Message Board Dial 171 provided by cellular phone companies.
    - Cellular disaster Web 171
  • At gas stations and convenience stores with the signs as shown, you can get water, food and information.

↑page top

Emergency earthquake alert

When a big earthquake occurs, TV and radio will alert us with warning sounds right before the main quake. When you see / hear it, immediately move to a safer place to protect yourself.

↑page top

Emergency call 110 for accidents and incidents

  • Call 110 when you encounter an accident or an incident.
  • When you call from a green public telephone, push the emergency button and dial 110. It is free of charge.
  • You can contact a policeman at a Police Box (Koban).

↑page top

Emergency call 119 to a fire department or in need of an ambulance car

When you call 119, the operator will ask you "fire or emergency?" Answer it without panic.
A computer-operated voice system will respond to you in 9 languages.

  • 119 call is for emergency of sudden sickness, severe injury and fire.
  • Use land line phones, not cellular phones, if possible.
  • Confirm if you have an automatic fire alarm box installed in your house.
  • Prepare a fire extinguisher at a visible location in your house.

"When you use a cellular phone!"
When you use a cellular phone to call 110 or 119, tell the operator "Yokohama City" first, then your address.